The Overdriver is a bass and treble boost/overdrive pedal that works great with tube amps. It sounds almost like a little amp in a box, and it is LOUD. David Gilmour of Pink Floyd used the old orange Power Boost version throughout the 1970's on such tracks as Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Have A Cigar, Pigs and many other mid to late late 1970s Pink Floyd songs. He also used it on the 1977 Pink Floyd tour for that incredible Power Boosted Big Muff sound, and used the Overdriver version in the 1990's. Jan Akkerman of Focus was another heavy user of this pedal, as were Marc Bolan of T Rex and Jeff Beck. The Overdriver is a piece of British fuzz history.
A kit of components as recommended by Ivlark for assembly of the ColorSound Overdriver stripboard project.
- these kits are not intended for beginners, so the ability to identify components and values from their markings and to transfer a pictorial layout to physical stripboard is assumed. No written instructions are provided with the kit.
Latest assembly guides and layout are available here.
Manufacturers and product names are mentioned solely for circuit identification and comparison, and where applicable the trademarks are the property of their respective owners who are in no way associated or affiliated with Bitsbox. No cooperation or endorsement is implied.
- 2x 470R Metal Film Risistor 1/4W 1%
- 2x 1k8 Metal Film Risistor 1/4W 1%
- 2x 4k7 Metal Film Risistor 1/4W 1%
- 1x 5k6 Metal Film Risistor 1/4W 1%
- 1x 6k8 Metal Film Risistor 1/4W 1%
- 1x 12k Metal Film Risistor 1/4W 1%
- 1x 33k Metal Film Risistor 1/4W 1%
- 1x 39k Metal Film Risistor 1/4W 1%
- 1x 100k Metal Film Risistor 1/4W 1%
- 2x 150k Metal Film Risistor 1/4W 1%
- 1x 1M Metal Film Risistor 1/4W 1%
- 3x 22uF 25V Electrolytic
- 1x 10uF 16V Electrolytic
- 2x 4.7uF 40V Electrolytic
- 1x 220nF Polybox
- 1x 10nF Polybox
- 1x 470pF Ceramic Disc
- 1x 10nF Ceramic Disc
- 1x 100nF Polyester Film
- 1x 220nF Polyester Film
- 3x 2N2222A NPN Transistor
- 1x 10k lin 16mm Potentiometer
- 2x 100k lin 16mm Potentiometer
- 1x 100k log 16mm Potentiometer
- 1x 64x95mm Stripboard
- 1x 3DPT Footswitch
- 1x 2.1mm DC Chassis Socket
Note: Obsolete components will have been replaced by currently available recommended substitutes - more information available via the blog here
To complete your project you might be interested in: